Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Shopping....UGH!

Once upon a time I used to LOVE shopping. Now I hate leaving the house. I'm sure that will change back to normal once my husband gets home. It can be some sort of escape even if I don't buy anything. But right now I have nothing to escape from except myself.

Come payday, I pay all my bills online either directly or through the bill pay option at my bank. I love the feeling of waking up on payday and getting everything done in less than a half hour without having to run from lace to place like we did in the 'old days.' I don't usually use the auto pay feature. I don't trust that the money will always be there. I like to see it before I spend it. Besides who wants to pay the overdraft fees that banks charge if we forget that an auto pay is coming out.

Once all the bills are taken care of I gather my list of groceries and coupons I have. I head to the commissary and get 7 gallons of milk (no that's not a typo), cereal, soup and a small loaf of bread and a few other things to sustain me. My list usually has everything I need on it but I inevitably forget half of it from just trying to grab what I need and get out of the store. So I get home and realize I am out of toilet paper or other household necessities.

About 8 months ago I saw an ad for Alice. I was intrigued. An online grocery that will remind me when I am out of things. So I tried it out. It was fantastic!! Alice even had cleaning supplies that I love but couldn't find in Texas!! The prices are comparable to the major stores and often better. PLUS, if there is a coupon available for the product, it is automatically applied. How great is that? Oh, to add to Alice's appeal everything you buy is shipped for FREE right to your door! Now for the catch. There is a minimum order of six items. And back to good news. It can be six items that cost $1. Alice also has a referral program that pays you if you get your friends to try it out and will give your friend $10 in their account once they have spent a total of $50. With that they put a percentage of what your friend spends into your account that you can redeem for cash! If you are interested in saving time and running and want to shop at Alice you can get $10 off once you spend $50 also. Just click through on any one of the links to get the bonus. And yes, if you click through me Alice will put a little bit of money on my account. So we are helping each other. I actively use Alice for my shopping and hope if you do try it you will find it as wonderful as I do. I almost forgot one of my favorite things that Alice has...postage stamps!! They are the same price as the post office and you don't have to wait in line for them!

After I shop at Alice, and I can get lost in there for a long time, I head over to Amazon and look for things I might want or need to send to my husband. Amazon does ship to APO for no additional charge!! Usually what I have done leading up to payday is wish list or even add to my cart things I have thought of. I try to stick with Amazon products or vendors that go along with the free shipping after spending $25. This can be a substantial savings. With books though I tend to go for the used ones which also cost a fraction even if I have to pay for shipping. If you've never tried Amazon  you can search and find almost anything you can imagine and then some. Amazon also has a grocery store. The biggest drawback is that everything is in bulk. I also don't think the prices are that great even in bulk. But just in case you would like to see for yourself, Search Amazon.com for groceries.

And that is about it for my shopping every two-three weeks. I hope you find that both Alice and Amazon can save you money and time!

No comments:

Post a Comment