Sunday, May 23, 2010

Going It Alone

Today, well the past couple of days, I've been pretty down. I feel left out. Left behind. Having no children excludes me from a lot. Unless I want the questions, or the looks of 'Oh you don't have children here?' Or, the look that says 'at your age you're only an enlisted wife?' The looks hurt. I don't even think people know they give the look. It's a quick flash in their eyes. They recover quickly, say something nice and head off to the next person. They don't stop the find out more. To find out that my husband was old when he went back in. To find out I do indeed have children. They are grown with their own children.
Almost started feeling blue again and lost track of my focus for this entry. I wrote a letter today to Melissa at Her War Her Voice and in communicating with her today realized I was really only sitting back and feeling sorry for myself. So I did something about it. I created a group for military spouses that are either childless, part time parent or have grown children like me. It is a Facebook group but I encourage anyone reading and in the same situation to join. It is Going It Alone. Thank you Melissa for helping me find my voice. Maybe now I will even keep up with the blog.
I told my husband I wanted to do something to help people so they didn't have to feel as lost as I did. I just hope they can find me. When I did a search for deployment without children EVERY search result pertained to people WITH children. Hmmm..





No comments:

Post a Comment