Monday, July 18, 2011

Is Walgreens being selfish?

Or unpatriotic? I think so. Up until about two weeks ago commissary shoppers were able to use the coupons that you receive from manufactures that print out for certain sales at Walgreens. These 'register rewards' worked just like cash at the commissary reducing the overall amount to pay. For some military families this really helped lower the cost of the grocery expenses.

This was possible because the commissary takes manufactures coupons that does not have the word ONLY on it.

Notice the two arrows. The one on the right used to be the only wording on the register reward. Since Walgreens decided they do not want commissary shoppers to use the coupons anywhere but at Walgreens they added the wording that the arrow on the left points to. 'REDEEMABLE ONLY AT WALGREENS.'


Defense Commissary Agency had no problems accepting the register rewards without the word ONLY on them. Redeemable at is merely a suggestion.

Commissary shoppers that used this to reduce their bill were generally loyal dedicated Walgreens shoppers. Some spending hundred of dollars a month at Walgreens. The money from the register rewards does NOT come out of Walgreens pockets. The rewards are from the manufacturer of the product purchased.

I for one will no longer be using Walgreens as I take this to state that they do not support the military UNLESS and ONLY if we shop at their store. I'm sorry, but I cannot buy all my grocery needs at Walgreens and I don't think anyone else can either. Unless you live on junk food and processed foods. Until Walgreens changes the wording I will be boycotting them. If they are the only place in town that carries a certain medicine then I will drive to another town.

If Walgreens changes their wording I will gladly go back to shopping there. I will also write another blog that they did the right thing.

If by chance this has to do with the 'extreme couponers' then the military community should not be punished for what some are doing. Perhaps they could work with the commissary and add 'REDEEMABLE ONLY AT WALGREENS AND MILITARY STORES.'

If you are a military shopper or are just a military supporter, then please join the others that are taking a stand and sign the petition. (Your information will remain private.) I do not have a goal yet for the number of signatures but it will be in the thousands, I will print off the petition and go to Walgreen's corporate with it.

Sign the petition.

One person cannot make the change but they can start it. That's what I have done. Sign and share with your friends. Thank you in advance of your support.

I will be reposting this blog as often as necessary until the desired number of signature have been received.

2 comments:

  1. Response from Walgreens July 21, 2011

    I missed a call but the district manager emailed me. I did return his call to clarify some things. Here is the email first:

    I have tried to reach you by phone phone today. I have gotten our feedback from the corporate office on the issue with our Catalina Register Reward coupons.
    We added that in writing recently but apparently they will still scan at your commis...sary or any other retailer.

    Issue, -

    **Register reward coupons redeemable only at Walgreens.

    Solution-

    If any coupons states it is a manufacturer coupon, you can redeem them anywhere. In spite of our disclaimer on the coupon.

    **Please let me know if I can explain further. My cell # is ****. I'm very sorry for your inconvenience in this case. I hope you will still shop our great specials and be allowed to redeem the coupons as needed.

    *I have also asked that we reconsider this per your request to remove the verbiage on our coupons.

    When I called him I told him that regardless the commissary would not accept them with the word 'only' printed on them. He asked if I was told them and I explained that I indeed had by the manager. He said he will make sure that the corporate office knows that the wording does affect where they can be used. He reassured me that no matter what they were manufacturers coupons and redeemable anywhere that would accept them.

    Now to convince the commissary. :) But hopefully the verbiage will just change and it will no longer be an issue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you ever tried to use acommissary only coupon at Walgreens? Do they take them? If a product is cheaper at Walgreens and I have a commissary coupon am I entitled to use it at Walgreens...no. This is just another example of entitlement. You can boycott all you want, but I prefer to shop off post and will continue to do so, it is cheaper, a higher class environment and when someone says free you are trampled to death bu greedy people who feel entitled to every dam thing for free.

    ReplyDelete