Friday, June 11, 2010

Keeping Busy

Time is moving fast now for me. Each day is one day less of this deployment and soon it will be behind us. I realize that my year of laziness is now going to catch up with me. Right now I am thankful I don't have little ones to chase after or intrude in my time and space.

My husband says the days are getting slower and slower for him. I seem to feel guilty that they are going by so fast for me when he is so miserable. His duties are slowing down now though. They are training the incoming, and preparing to depart. I can only imagine how the clock must seem to stop. For me, I see so much that I want to make sure is perfect for his return.

The yard is now a plush green grass instead of weeds. I am harvesting okra and tomatoes and a few peppers. The sunflowers are going to bloom and out on a beautiful show for his return. The daisies are thriving. The lawn needs to be mowed. The windows need to be washed. The pantry needs to be stocked. But there is jam in the freezer. Not enough. I still have peach and rhubarb (if I can even find it in Texas.) Cleaning carpets. It's amazing how dirty they get with just pets!

I don't know how I could have actually managed to have anything done sooner than now. I couldn't garden in the winter. That's the most important thing. The back yard anyway. It is a haven. It is the green and red and purple and yellow and white amongst all the gray and brown. It is where we have friends over to grill and just hang out. It is tranquility. It has also changed a great deal in the last year. For the better I imagine. But now I fear that he won't like it, and I spend hours everyday in the hot sun doing little things to make sure it remains as perfect as possible for him.

I come in to cool off and get so tired and look around the house and worry that I just won't get it done in time.

Then I think, it really doesn't matter. He won't notice a couple of rain drop stains on the windows, or a streak on the mirror. No matter what it looks like here, he will be home. And that's all that will matter to him.

The back yard

Magnolia Blossom on the tree he planted before he left.
 Okra (his favorite)

No comments:

Post a Comment