Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Another deployment behind us.

Yes, it's actually been a few months since he returned. Life can sure be hectic in those few months after they return.

I can proudly say that he was on the very LAST convoy that left Iraq. I kept watching for him on the news but couldn't see which truck he was driving. I just know he was there and I cannot tell you how many tears I shed watching those trucks cross safely into Kuwait and then watching that gate close that chapter of our lives.

During that deployment he was promoted twice and reenlisted for six more years. This deployment was easier in some ways. We knew what to expect from each other and the stress level that we had during the first deployment was greatly diminished. I knew this one was more dangerous. Lives were lost. Soldiers were injured. Our diminished stress came from better communication and understanding of each others needs. 


Now on to the next chapter....

I have had the great pleasure of getting to know many of the soldiers in his company since his return. What an amazing caring group of people. I keep my doors open to all of them. In fact I have a soldier here now recovering from an accident. I have a sense of belonging with this company. Since I am so much older than most of them they feel like my adopted children.

We recently had a barbecue to get them out and relax away from the barracks for a while. We had such a fun day and even with alcohol involved they were the best behaved group of people I believe we've ever had over to the house.

Some played ladder ball well into the dark.  

Some hung out inside and watched Disney movies. (I love it!)

Next week I will be attending my very first Military Ball. I am both excited and apprehensive about going. I am worried about the receiving line and proper etiquette. I'm sure it will be fine and I can't wait to be dressed up with my handsome husband in his dress uniform.

For the next month my husband is in training. After that he will be going to school. I am waiting for a routine to get back to doing things I want to do. Blogging, cooking, sewing, gardening. The routine will work itself out soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment