Monday, August 8, 2011

Why don't they matter?

Since the Chinook crashed a couple days ago I have watched the news and kept an eye on status updates on Facebook. Over and over again I hear about the Navy Seal team 6. 20 of them. Always in the back of my mind was the question who were the other 10? Why aren't they talked about? Why don't they matter?

I'm sure the posts on facebook were well meaning. Until the rose post about 31 special forces yesterday everything I saw mentioned Seal team 6. It is awful they lost so many! But there were TEN other Americans too. They are loved by someone. They are someone's family. They belonged to a unit of men and women that are devastated over their loss.

My husband echoed my feelings today. I was thankful because I thought maybe it was just me.

I watched the news a little closer today. Sure enough, CBS evening news talked about the crash. They started with 30 American soldiers killed. Then went on to say 20 with the now famous Navy Seal team 6 and not one other mention of the other 10. I did send them a message.

My ramblings tonight don't seem to make much sense. Just please keep in mind, whether it's one soldier lost or 30, they were each special to someone. They each deserve respect and mourning. No one should ever be left out. Of course we don't hear much about the one or two soldiers that get killed here and there. The news doesn't make them important. But we CAN.

Don't jump on the 'reposting' bandwagon. Actually read the post. Think about the post. Can you make it more sincere? Can you make it personal?


*I was going to try to post news articles. They are all so varying and confusing. Each one is different. I guess I will never know, but they DID matter to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment